You might roll your eyes at the thought of preparing for an emergency, but you never know what could happen to you.
Having survival tools at hand is one of the most important things to enable you to protect yourself and your family.
What are survival multi-tools?
These tools are basically smaller, more portable versions of tools you’d find in your toolbox at home. But sometimes they can contain many unexpected items.
Imagine if you could find a shovel or hammer that had extra tools attached to it, such as screwdrivers and knives?
You can! Here’s the best multi tool for survival: pick a winner from our list of the best multi tools to have in your car and emergency stash at home.
Best Multi Tool – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
Best Survival Shovel Multi Tool: Zune Lotoo Survival Shovel
People always talk about the tools you’ll need in a survival situation, yet it’s rare to hear someone mention a shovel.
Yet, this is an important tool that could really help you get out of sticky situations, like if you have to dig ice and dirt from your tires or break glass to escape your car. This one by Zune Lotoo is worth checking out.
- Stainless steel
- 23 tools
- Locking feature
- This shovel is made of stainless steel through the processes of moulding and casting.
- It has a lock adjustment that enables you to adjust the angle according to what you need, and you can adjust it by pressing a button.
- This isn’t simply a shovel. It contains 23 tools that you could use in a survival situation. These include a camping knife with bottle opener attached, a fire starter, a survival whistle, a rope, and more!
- The shovel also comes with a backpack.
- The shovel is foldable, which makes it wonderfully portable. It can also be stored in your bag.
- It contains a built-in anti-skid silicone component so that your shovelling work can be smooth and more comfortable.
- Some people who have purchased this shovel have said that they didn’t receive a backpack.
- Others have said that the shovel is quite heavy.
- This isn’t just a shovel to have handy in case you find yourself in a survival situation. It’s great for camping, such as when you need to move wood around to make a fire.
If you need a strong, durable shovel when hitting the road on a camping trip or for your emergency stash at home, this is the best survival shovel multi tool. It’s especially worth it because you get extra tools with it.
Runner Up: iunio Folding Shovel
If the Zune shovel is way out of your budget, consider this folding shovel. Here’s what it has to offer, at a much more affordable price.
- High-carbon steel extension bars
- Rubber grip
- Tactical waist bag
- If you want to feel more comfortable when using this shovel, you can extend it during use by making use of its extension bars.
- It comes with tons of extra tools, such as a hexagonal wrench, bottle opener, hoe, pickaxe, fish scaler tool, safety hammer, emergency whistle, fire bar, ice axe, flashlight, wire saw, compass, screwdriver, shovel board, saw, and nail extractor!
- This shovel is super-strong and durable. It’s made with extra reinforcement and thickness on its shovel board. Its head and extension bars are made of high-carbon steel.
- It’s both durable and resistant to water.
- The handle of the shovel has a rubber grip so you can feel more in control when using it.
- One of the drawbacks people who have purchased this shovel have noted is that it doesn’t contain a locking mechanism on the threads that keep the handles together. These can come loose if you need to use this shovel for strenuous work.
- Not only do you get all those awesome survival tools with your purchase, but you’ll also receive a tactical waist bag.
This shovel is affordable and gives you everything you’d need in a survival situation, as well as some extras.
Best Multi-Tool Survival Knife: Leatherman Free P4 Multitool
A knife is a must to have in any survival kit because it can help you in a variety of ways. This one by Leatherman is so much more than just a knife. Let’s check it out!
- 21 tools
- Magnetic locking system
- Pocket clip
- This multi tool has 21 tools. These include wire cutters, spring-action scissors, needle-nose pliers, a wire stripper, a saw, a can opener, bottle opener, a wood/metal file, an awl, a ruler, a regular and serrated knife, and screwdrivers.
- It’s got magnetic locks that reduce friction. It also locks the open tools in place for more comfortable use.
- If you’ve ever battled to pull tools out of a Swiss army knife, you’ll love that this multi tool is really easy to use. All the tools are located outside of the main tool so you can easily and quickly use them by simply pushing your thumb.
- Although the fact that the tools are external is a good way to make using them easier, this does make them lack ergonomics. So, using them for a long period of time won’t be very comfortable.
- For even more convenience, this tool also has a pocket clip.
- When you lock one of the tools, you’ll hear a click so you know it’s secure.
This Leatherman multi tool is a bit expensive, it is a tool that will last you for a long time and provide you with the tools you need for a variety of situations.
Runner Up: NEBO Power Bank and Survival Multi Tool
Having your multi tool in the same place as your power bank is a smart idea. This multi tool by NEBO ticks all the right boxes to ensure you never have to go without important tools you need, wherever you are.
- 2200mAh power bank
- 400 lumens flashlight
- Removable knife
- This multi tool has a power bank that enables you to charge your iPhone, Android, or other USB-rechargeable device on the go.
- It has a stainless steel folding knife that comes with a three-inch serrated blade.
- This knife locks when it’s open, for easier use.
- You always need a flashlight, and this one is strong. It has 400 lumens and comes with three modes: high, medium, and low. If you use it on high, you’ll be able to use it for 2.3 hours and it will light up your way up to 167 meters.
- This multi tool is strong and compact – you can carry it in your handbag, briefcase, or even your pocket.
- The charging ports on the power bank have a rubber cover to protect them, but it tends to come off.
- You can’t replace the battery when it reaches the end of its lifespan.
- If you’re traveling or you don’t want to carry the knife that’s in this tool, you can easily remove it just by removing one screw. This means you’ll have your power charger and flashlight with you, without having to leave the entire tool at home.
- This tool is resistant to impact and water.
This is a multi tool that doesn’t have all the extra tools you might need in a survival situation, but it’s focused on practicality and daily use.
Best Hammer Multi Tool for Survival: RAK Hammer Multi-Tool
A hammer is another must-have tool for survival. This set not only comes with a hammer but other tools that make it worth purchasing because you’re sure to use them.
- 12-in-1 multi tool
- Safety lock
- Nylon bag and holster
- This RAK multi tool contains 12 tools: a hammer, nail claw, wire cutter, flathead screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, a saw, a straight blade, a serrated blade, a file, a bottle opener, as well as flat and pipe grip pliers.
- You also get a nylon bag and holster with your purchase, so you’ll have everything you need in an emergency kit.
- It’s made out of stainless steel so it’s durable and will last you a long time.
- It comes with a safety lock so that all the tools remain in place when you use them.
- The product is made in China.
- It doesn’t contain many extra survival items you might need, which makes it more of an everyday tool.
- This multi tool is easy to store because it’s small enough to fit in a bag, pocket, or the glove compartment of your car. This makes it perfect for taking with you whenever you go hiking or camping.
- You’ll love being able to use this multi tool around the house, like when you’re fixing things.
- People have said the hammer in this multi tool is sturdy and strong, ideal for a variety of uses.
This multi tool i’s small, compact, and versatile for use whenever you don’t have your toolbox handy.
Survival Multi Tool FAQ
If you’re looking for a survival multi tool, you probably have some questions. Let’s check them out so you can purchase the best multi tool for survival without wasting money.
Should I carry a multi tool?
When you think of survival multi tools, chances are you think of a tool you leave somewhere in the home, like in an emergency kit. While that’s a good idea, it’s often better to carry a multi tool wherever you go.
This is because many survival tools on the market are built to be as practical as possible.
You might not ever find yourself lost in the wilderness, for example, but you could find yourself without a hammer, pair of scissors, or screwdriver when you really need it and your toolbox is at home.
This is why it’s important to look for a multi tool that is compact and easy to carry. An example is the Cell Phone Power Bank and Survival Multi Tool that you can carry in your pocket.
What are multi tools good for?
There are many good reasons why you should have a multi tool. For starters, it makes it really easy to keep important tools organized and in the same place.
There’s nothing worse than trying to find something you urgently need but can’t locate. Multi tools are also cost-effective because you don’t have to go out and purchase a bunch of other tools separately. Finally, they are also very easy to use.
You can find survival multi tools that have a range of different tools attached which are also practical for everyday use, so you can be sure that you’ll put a multi purpose survival tool to good use.
What type of multi tool is the best for survival?
The best multi tool for survival should offer you the following important tools that will come to your aid:
- Bottle and/or can opener (preferably both!)
- Fire starter
Based on the above, the Zune Lotoo Survival Camping Shovel that we featured in our reviews of the best multi tools for survival is your best bet.
It contains all of the items you’ll need if you ever find yourself in a survival situation, such as a knife, bottle opener, fire starter, rope, and survival whistle.
While you might not find every single tool you want for survival in one multi tool kit, it’s good to try to get one that has as many as possible as it just makes it much more convenient to carry around.
You never know when you’ll need survival tools such as a hammer, knife, or saw, and you want to avoid a nightmare situation where you’re stuck in the wilderness or far from home when disaster strikes without anything to help you survive.
This is why it’s important to ensure you always have a survival multi tool handy. In this buying guide, we’ve featured five of the best survival multi tools to own. The bonus is that they’re pretty versatile and practical, so you can start using them for a variety of different tasks.
Just make sure you always replace any tools that break or don’t work as well as they should to ensure that you have the best high-quality tools whenever you need them!